The North American Butterfly Association (NABA), is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the conservation and study of wild butterflies in their native habitats. Formed in 1993, NABA has grown to over 4,500 members in 30 chapters across the United States. Thanks to efforts to educate the public about the importance of butterflies and the ways in which they benefit humans and the environment.
NABA also runs the annual Butterfly Count Programs in Canada, the United States, and Mexico, with the help of thousands of volunteers in the field. The published results of these counts are used by scientists to monitor butterfly population trends in North America, and serve as the nucleus of the NABA initiative to create a continent-wide database of activity known as Butterflies I’ve Seen, or BIS. Because butterflies are extremely sensitive to changes in environmental conditions, they serve as an early warning system for issues related to environmental degradation due to climate change, pollution, and more.
To promote the growth of wild butterfly populations, NABA encourages gardening and has developed a series of guides for those interested in creating habitats for butterflies and insects across North America. NABA Chapter members, whether master naturalists, hobbyists or enthusiasts, work within their communities to plant butterfly-friendly gardens at private residences and public places including local schools and parks.
When you join the North American Butterfly Association (NABA), your membership helps support NABA conserve butterflies and their habitats throughout North America, by educating the public about the importance of butterflies and their habitats.
NABA Membership Levels:
- Individual – Digital Magazines – $35.00 (USD)
- Individual – Print and Digital Magazines – $40.00 (USD)
- Family – $50.00 (USD) – All immediate members of your family will be members of NABA
- Institution – $65.00 (USD) – Also receive a copy of NABA’s yearly butterfly count report
- Copper – $60.00 (USD)
- Skipper – $100.00 (USD)
- Admiral – $250.00 (USD) – First time members also receive a copy of NABA’s President Dr. Glassberg’s Enjoying Butterflies More and a copy of NABA’s notecards with subscription renewals
- Monarch – $1,000.00 (USD)
**Note** All membership subscriptions are for 1 year with automatic renewals (recurring payments).
The NABA membership also includes access to our local Tennessee Valley Chapter.
- Subscription to American Butterflies (quarterly)
- Subscription to The Butterfly Gardener (quarterly)
- Membership Meetings of the Tennessee Valley Chapter
- Presentations, and Field Trips
- Members-Only Events
To become a member of the North American Butterfly Association (NABA), please visit naba.org.